Date(s) - 10/19/2018
5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Weld Like A Girl
You could be famous! Choose any one of four welding sculpture sessions at Weld Like A Girl sponsored by the Yuma International Airport (YUM) and create a flight-themed sculpture that will be judged by the Airport Commission. If your sculpture is selected, it will become a permanent fixture at the YCAA Multi-Use Pathway and Intersection Improvement Project in front of YUM. This means it will be on permanent display and you can visit it anytime. If your sculpture is not selected for the project, you will be able to take it home after the judging process is completed.
Yes, flight-themed does mean *anything* that legitimately flies (butterflies, hot-air balloons, birds, dragonflies, bees, prop planes, airplanes, jets, helicopters, Harriers, space shuttles, etc.).
- ALL classes begin with safety! Participants will be taught about welding safety, plasma cutting and GMAW (MIG welding). Demonstrations and practice time are provided.
- We provide a small group setting of usually no more than 12 people so that everyone can get the individual instruction and attention they need.
- We provide all safety gear including safety glasses, welding jackets, gloves and welding helmets.
- Classes are co-ed.
- Children are permitted to register; so far, we have taught kids as young as 6 years old but only you know how mature your child is. (If you have a mature child under the age of 7, please contact us so we can discuss the possibility of participation.) Children under the age of 14 are asked to register and participate with an adult.
- WHAT TO WEAR: jeans, cotton t-shirt and closed-toe shoes (boots preferred; tennis shoes are OK; no sandals); please ensure ankles and feet are completely covered.
- FYI: if you already have your own safety glasses that fit you perfectly, you are welcome to bring them. Otherwise, we provide standard ANSI-approved safety glasses that are yours to take home.
- Water, tea and light refreshments will be provided.
Class enrollment is paid for by Yuma International Airport (value: $45). There is a $10 contest entry fee.
This event is fully booked.